Eurofins EnvironeX’s team of professionals are experts in the analysis of shelf life—the length of time in which a food, under normal storage conditions, remains fresh, keeps its organoleptic properties, its nutritional value and any other characteristics declared by the manufacturer.
Validation of Product Shelf Life—what is the purpose?
- Initial evaluation to validate the expiry dates of food products
- Validating changes, new recipes, new processes or new storage methods
- Ensuring process consistency
- Acquiring knowledge dealing with food product aging (decomposition) and processing
- Detecting possible problems and improve processes
Our Services :
Our experienced professionals will advise you according to product characteristics, processing and packaging or analysis selection:
- Microbiological: decomposition indicator microorganisms (aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, coliforms, lactic bacteria, E. coli, yeast, fungi, Pseudomonas) and pathogenic bacteria (Salmonella, Listeria monocytogenes, E. coli O157-H7, Bacillus cereus, Clostridium perfringens, Staphylococcus aureus, etc.)
- Physio-chemical: pH, water activity (Aw), viscosity, oxidation, salt content, humidity, free fatty acids, etc.
- Nutritional: vitamins, probiotics or other important components in your food products.
- Organoleptic (sensory evaluation): appearance, texture, colour, odour, taste, post cooking evaluations, observation and identification of parasites, etc.
Our specialists will also help you pinpoint the most appropriate protocol to adopt when studying product shelf life.
- What are the possible groupings formed when projects are categorized?
- Analysis frequency
- Determination of the required length and temperature for storage based on the product distribution chain
- According to expected usage, determination of the conditions required during storage and phase analysis (freezer, light exposure, humidity, samples taken in single use containers, etc.).
- Determination of representative samples.
To obtain a more signiﬁcant interpretation of the results, it is highly recommended to analyze three product samples and test more than one batch.
We ensure a follow-up on the analyses, consequently, parameters could be modiﬁed during product shelf life, depending on the results.
The ﬁnal report will be presented graphically with explanatory tables including an interpretation of results for microbiological, physio-chemical analyses and sensory evaluation.