Natural Health Products
Our laboratories provide microbiological and chemical testing services for natural health products.
Health Canada defines the term “natural health product” (NHP) as a range of health products that includes vitamins and minerals, herbs and other herbal remedies, traditional remedies (such as traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic [East Indian] medicines), homeopathic remedies, fatty acids (such as Omega 3, 6 and 9), probiotics and some personal hygiene products such as antiperspirants, medicinal shampoos and mouthwashes.
We provide microbiological and chemical testing services for the following parameters:
1. Microbiological Purity Under USP
- Yeasts and moulds
- Total bacteria counts
- Escherischia coli
- Salmonella spp.
- Staphylococcus aureus
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa
- Chemical purity
2. Chemical Purity
- Heavy metals such as arsenic (As), cadmium (Cd), lead (Pb), mercury (Hg), and chromium (Cr), by ICP-MS
- Solvent residues
- Specific toxins such as mycotoxins (aflatoxin).
3. Performance Tests
- We can perform an antimicrobial effectiveness testing on preservatives (challenge test), using the USP method.
4. Complete Nutritional Labelling (vitamins, fat proﬁle (including EPA—DHA), protein)
We can also conduct additional tests as required, such as:
1. Process Water
- Veriﬁcation of process water for USP conformance USP:
- Total organic carbon (TOC)
- Water for pharmaceutical use.
2. Environmental and Technical Services
- Microbiological count on surfaces
- Microbiological testing of ambient air and compressed air
- Sampling services.